Who are the Artists of the Barkly?
The Artists of Barkly collective represents five remote communities from across the Barkly region: Tennant Creek, Epenarra, Canteen Creek, Elliott, and Mungkarta. Whilst sharing a remote, rugged landscape and some common themes, the artists from each community exhibit a distinctive style. Collectively, the Artists of the Barkly can be seen to offer a less familiar perspective on Indigenous art in terms of both themes and techniques. Their depictions of country, modern history and life in the Barkly are often realised with vibrant figurative forms or intricate networks of dots which combine to depict rich, textural landscapes. The Artists of Barkly produce a vast breadth in variety of work which demonstrates the influence of the art centre setting, each art centre has its own visual language, an aesthetic approach that is shared across generations.
As a signatory to the Indigenous Australian Art Commercial Code of Conduct Barkly Regional Arts is committed to ethical and transparent business dealings with Indigenous visual artists. On the sale of a work 60% of the purchase price goes to the artist while the remaining 40% is retained by Barkly Regional Arts and contributes to the operational costs of our art centres.